Which I realized could spell out:
Then I found these orange t-shirts that my mom had given them from a trip to...you guessed it...Maine:
And then it all came together. I turned the shirts inside out and cut off the tags (I'm pretty sure I'll remember the washing instructions for two cotton t-shirts):
Then I lined up the letters face down and pressed them with a super hot iron:
Then I let them cool a bit and peeled the backing off:
I don't expect a contract with Target for a new line of Halloween shirts, but I'm pretty pleased with my work considering the lead time. I like the slightly faded look of the lettering, but most of all I like the smiles on the kids faces when they saw the finished product:
PS - While I was in the middle of making the shirts, our super sweet neighbor Vinnie stopped by to deliver this glittery pumpkin full of Halloween cookies!